St Martins - Worle Bellringers

Go to content

Main menu:

St Martins

Church Web Site

For over 900 years Christians have worshiped here at St Martins.
The first written reference to a church here was in a letter to the Bishop of Bath and Wells in 1210. The building was erected sometime between 1125 and 1150. The Norman font and entrance arch are from the first church before the completion of the present building in the 13th century.
Look for the following when you visit us;

The list of Vicars – the first recorded being Elias de Coleshull 1325
The misere (mercy) seats – 13th century
The sedilia (priests seats) with carved canopies
The stone pulpit – 15th century – with grape design
The small turret at the end of the north aisle- may have been used by smugglers
The Altar Reredos – 1905 – The last supper – in Caen stone with alabaster framework
The stained windows in the north aisle, the choir, east window, and nave
The gargoyles
The booklet – 900 years of power and glory – compiled by Jenny Thompson and her late husband, Stanley, that not only elaborates on the above but includes much more

Back to content | Back to main menu